People

Financial Scandal: Leonardo DiCaprio's breaks his silence

DiCaprio was dragged in embezzlement scandal involving public funds.
October 20, 2016

In the last weeks, Leonardo DiCaprio was dragged in the middle of an investigation around an embezzlement scandal involving public funds.

In July a Hollywood production company was accused in a U.S. civil lawsuit of using $100 million that prosecutors said had been diverted from the 1MDB fund to finance DiCaprio’s 2013 film “The Wolf of Wall Street,” in which he starred.

According to authorities, a few 100 million dollars has been used by the son of Malaysian Prime Minister Riza Aziz and founded the studio Red Granite, which fully financed The Wolf of Wall Street movie by Martin Scorsese. The US Department of Justice had announced the seizure of all benefits generated by the movie, which grossed 400 million dollars worldwide.

In his first comment on the multinational probe into the fund, DiCaprio said he was cooperating with U.S. authorities to determine if money had come from questionable sources, according to the statement.

“He immediately had his representatives reach out to the Department of Justice to determine whether he or his foundation, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF), ever received any gifts or charitable donations directly or indirectly related to these parties, and if so, to return those gifts or donations as soon as possible,” the statement said.

 

Poll

Who was the best looking at the Black Panther NYFW event?
  • Lupita Nyong’o
  • Danai Gurira
Vote