Latest Updates on Prince’s Cause of Death
Prince died on April 21st 2016. At the time, the cause of death was an overdose of a medicine for which he didn’t have any prescription. However, something interesting turned up in the toxicology report this Tuesday. It confirmed that the Purple Rain singer had an “exceedingly high” level of fentanyl at the time of death. It’s a drug used to manage moderate to severe pain.
"The amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches," said Dr. Lewis Nelson, chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.
The AP reported that Prince’s blood contained 67.8 micrograms per liters of fentanyl and his liver contained 450 micrograms per kilogram. That’s a lot!
Fentanyl is a rather controversial drug. It’s way more potent than morphine and heroin according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the drug for limited use, but it’s sold illegally very often.